60 Shearer Drive
Traditional ranch style home set on a secluded and quiet street in sought after West Atherton. 3bd/2.5ba main house + 1bd/1ba guest cottage gracioisly appoint this mature and lushly landscaped lot of .66 acre +/- per survey. A unique opportunity to live-in, remodel or build new at this premier address. Central to Silicon Valley tech companies, outstanding private schools and abundant shopping and dining venues.
Main House Details:
- Sunlit family room with high ceilings, clerestory windows, marble floors, wet bar and french doors leading the backyard
- Formal living and dining rooms with espresso stained oak hardwood floors, crystal chandelier and vaulted beam ceiling
- Double sided gas fireplace graciously anchors the formal and informal spaces
- Perfectly appointed kitchen with crisp white cabinetry, black granite, stainless appliances, center island and breakfast nook overlooking the backyard
- Bedroom wing offers privacy for 3 spacious bedrooms including the large master suite
- Master bedroom features a large sitting area or room for home office, two closets including one walk-in and an elegant marble bathroom with seperate tub and double sinks
- Additonal features include large uttility room, security alarm system, air conditioning, 2 car garage and swimming pool with automatic cover
- Square footage is 3000+/- per county records and graphic artist
Guest Cottage Details:
- Charming private entry to self contained 1bd/1ba guest cottage
- Separate dining area, full kitchen with laundry and living area with built-ins and french door to the backyard
- Large bedroom offers full bathroom with marble flooring and two closets
- Square footage is 736+/- per graphic artist
If Atherton seems especially quiet and secluded, it’s no accident: The town prohibits commercial development of any kind, and it declares in its General Plan that streets are “designed primarily as scenic routes rather than for speed of travel.”
Atherton was named Fair Oaks until 1923. Today, the town's neighborhoods are still thickly wooded with oaks, redwoods, cedars, pines, and ornamental trees. Atherton also stands out as one of the wealthiest communities in the United States. In 2014, Forbes magazine ranked Atherton's ZIP code, 94027, as the nation’s most expensive ZIP code, with a median home price of $9,026,885.
Notable residents, past and present, include former movie star and diplomat Shirley Temple Black, baseball great Willie Mays, Grateful Dead guitarist Bob Weir, Google Chairman Eric Schmidt, and Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman. Atherton was originally comprised of large estates owned by wealthy San Francisco businessmen. The estates were gradually subdivided, beginning in the 1920s and ’30s, but the town has held fast to rules setting the minimum lot size at one acre.
Atherton covers five square miles in southern San Mateo County, bordered by Menlo Park, Redwood City, Woodside, and unincorporated areas of the county. It stretches from Interstate 280 to the southwest to Highway 101 to the northeast. San Francisco is 29 miles to the north, and San Jose is 21 miles to the south.